Preparation is the key to a smooth mortgage process. One of the first things lenders will do is ask you for a list of documents to verify your finances and check whether you’re eligible for a mortgage. To make the process easier, we encourage you to get organized and gather the paperwork you need early on. Here’s a list of tax-specific documents your lender may ask for:

T1 General/Tax Return

Every Canadian taxpayer must complete their T1 General and file their taxes with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Lenders may ask for this to verify your personal income, any deductions you’re entitled to, taxes you owe or refund you’re due to receive.

T4 slips

If you are employed, you must provide your T4, which is the document issued by your employer, showing your employment income information such as your salary or hourly wage, and any tax withheld.

Notice of Assessment (NOA)

This is the document you receive from the CRA after you file your taxes. After reviewing your T1 tax return, the CRA sends you the NOA with a verified summary of your income, deductions, and credits, and confirms whether you owe any taxes or if you're eligible for a refund.

Pay Stub

A pay stub is a document that shows an employee's earnings for a specific pay period. It can be in the form of a physical check, direct deposit or e-transfer. Lenders may request a pay stub to further verify your income. A typical pay stub includes your pay rate, CPP or EI contributions and deductions.

Property Tax Statement

Lenders may ask for a copy of your property tax assessment to verify the amount of property tax you pay each year. This document should be provided by your local tax authority.

If you’re self-employed, you will need to provide the following information:


If you’re self-employed, you’ll need to provide all of the above plus a T4A. Your T4A tax form will list any income, such as pensions, severance pay, and investment income. Self-employed individuals receive a T4A, whereas employees receive a T4.

T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities

Self-employed individuals must also be prepared to provide documentation of any business income and expenses. As the income of business owners or self-employed individuals is often considered less predictable by lenders, they may require you to submit income documents from the past three years and show proof of incorporation or a business license.

Buying a home doesn't have to be stressful if you're organized and have the necessary documents. At Homewise, we aim to help you say goodbye to the stress of buying a home. We work to find you the best mortgage and ensure that you're informed and prepared every step of the way.

Apply online with us in just five minutes and one of our dedicated Mortgage Advisors will be happy to answer your questions and provide the necessary information you need to complete your mortgage application.